Profile of teacher Kevin Dawson
Native Canadian English "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever"–Gandhi
- Clear native Canadian English speaker with a cheerful, fun and creative style. Tailored, easy lessons yet challenging and motivating, using general conversation and literary tools to help build confidence in speaking. Enjoy helping you get ready for exams, interviews, preparing business materials, technical communication or general improvement in public travel and mingling.
- what should you expect from my classes:
- To begin, let's find out what English assets and deficiencies you have, then we will make a program together. Foreign speakers often need help on "TH" and Past Tense usage. Promise to make learning fun and simple, building up confidence and interest and then get into some challenging tasks as you progress. Love conversation on just about any topic so finding your passion is key to enjoyment here.
- my teaching background:
- Been teaching English for 10 years sporadically. Although, having a strong background in technical and business communication, passionate about helping students improve pronunciation and challenging with homonyms, tongue twisters and introduction to what makes up 50% of English...Latin and Greek!
- my background outside of teaching:
- Motivated by a big interest in etymology, (word history) and the study of cultures and their relationship with phonology, (sound study), while traveling and living through this miracle of a planet, has made for some colorful adventures that are sure to interest you as we share our stories.
- native languages:
- other languages spoken:
- German, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil)
- Technical Communication
price per lesson
30-minute trial lesson: $6.00
|1 lesson||5 lessons||10 lessons|
3 unique facts about me
- English nomad for 15 years, traveling the World, learning and teaching language by embracing culture and immersing in other countries has been a very rewarding ongoing experience sure to bring interesting stories to our classes. Working with Langu for the last 2 years has not only supported a dream of seeing the world while funding travel through remote working, but has also built up valuable skills in teaching others on this platform. Fun fact: Did you know that native English speakers are a minority? We are out numbered by all those secondary English speakers as English becomes a World language and had we lost WWII, then you most likely would be learning German instead!
- Foremost, a sailor, nature lover and adventure seeker. Previously a computer consultant and administrator for a bioinformatic gene sequencing company. Not a wonder, the Commodore 64 and sail boats, like the Chinese Junk rigs make for feverish interest and some crazy world class adventures.
- If you really want to find out about my teaching style, be sure to check out the Langu Blog where I wrote an article about learning languages with the polyglot Kató Lomb who learned 16 languages: https://heylangu.com/blog/2019/10/22/kato-lomb-how-i-learn-languages She really has some great information on language learning you are sure to find inspiration and confidence with her techniques.
The best teacher I have ever had!
Kevin is helping me with my pronunciation, he is patient and makes the lessons to be fun. After taking five lessons with him, I've already noticed the improvement that I made.
Very energetic and easy-going teacher. I will book my classes with him
The best teacher ever, very positive and energetic person. Great attitiude towards learning English. A committed teacher, able to interest the student. My ten-year-old son is happy and charged with positive Energy after each lesson. Kasia & Filip
Like always a lot of fun and energy
The best teacher ever!